€25k for schoolgirl injured when shower door shattered in Dublin gym

© The Irish Independent

A schoolgirl, who suffered multiple cuts to her face and body after the glass of a shower door shattered in a Dublin gym, was today awarded €25,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Barrister Kristian Douglas told the court that in May 2013, Mia Alice Jackson (11) was in the shower in the changing rooms of Energie Fitness Gym, Nutgrove, Dublin, following a swimming lesson, when the incident happened.

Mr Douglas said Mia, who was almost 10 at the time, was pushing she shower door when the glass broke in shards over her, injuring her back, left foot and face.

Mia’s father, Damian Jackson, of Rathfarnham Wood, Rathfarnham, Dublin, who had been waiting for her outside the gym, had been called by loudspeakers to the changing rooms.

Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke heard that Mia, who was in shock, had been extremely upset and crying.

Staff members had applied first aid treatment to her wounds and she had been taken by ambulance to the A&E Department of Tallaght, Dublin, Hospital, where her wounds were dressed and stitched.

Counsel said the cuts on Mia’s face had now healed, but the wounds had left scars on her foot and back.

Through her father, Damian, Mia sued Prime Fitness Ltd, which trades as Energie Fitness, with a registered address at Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin, for negligence.

Mr Douglas told the court that the gym, which had admitted liability, had made a settlement offer of €25,000, which Judge Groarke approved.

Request A Callback

Call 1800 515 515 for a consultation or send us your details and we will be in contact as soon as possible.

We Have City Centre And Nationwide Clinics.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Request
Callback