James McSweeney Solicitors had the great privilege of representing Martin Staines as a Client and yesterday Emma Meagher had the sad duty of representing his family at the Inquest into his untimely death. Martin passed away after suffering from heart failure due to anaphylactic shock at St. James’s Hospital on the 31st July 2015.
Our Client suffered complications following surgery and he was being treated for pain on an ongoing basis. During the course of this treatment it became apparent that he was allergic to polyethylene gycol also known as macrogol. This was a fact known to the treating medical team.
On the 31st July 2015 our Client attended St. James’s Hospital for a steroid pain injection. The drug used contained polyethylene gycol. Approximately two minutes after the injection Martin started to suffer from allergic reaction and deteriorated rapidly. He passed away later that night.
James McSweeney Solicitors brought forward expert evidence to prove that Martin’s death was wholly preventable had there not been a multitude of systemic failures on the part the health system, St. James’s Hospital and its staff.
A verdict of death by medical misadventure was recorded.
The Coroner made a number of recommendations which she hopes will be implemented by St. James’s Hospital in the future. They include systemic changes relating to the management of patients suffering from an allergy to polyethylene gycol and the improvement of communications between different medical teams within the hospital.
St. James’s Hospital issued an apology to the family of Martin Staines through their legal representatives.
For more details please refer to the following links:
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact James McSweeney or Emma Meagher of James McSweeney Solicitors.